Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Belated American Idol Report

Why did I like American Idol more this past year than any year before? (And yes, I have watched all the years.) My theory (actually it is my husband's, but I have adopted it) is that this is the first year they allowed instruments--which drew in not just singers, but musicians. Most of my favorites this year played guitar, and/or piano. And best of all, there were very few "boy band" singers. WHEW.

It was also the first year my husband watched along with me...not half heartedly, but religiously, a fun twice weekly date. Then my mom came home from her mission in March and it wasn't long before she too was hooked. We texted our votes in week to week, Grandma Kippy taking the cake with her 100 votes in the finals, which I thought was a lot until I learned about the 1000 votes a friend had cast that night, putting my mom's measly hundred to shame.

So having been such loyal fans this year, and having enjoyed most of the top ten performers, it only made sense to hit the concert and oh what a party it was. Attending in Utah was especially insane due to an arena full of the loudest and most intense David Archuleta fans you can imagine--something akin to Beatle Mania. I liked him too, Hershey's kiss that he is (little boy, BIG voice,) but I also loved Brooke White, Jason Castro, the Australian (vindicating Brian's fashion sense one scarf at a time) and David -You had me at Lionel Richie's Hello- Cook, redefining American Idol every time he opened his mouth.

Grandma Kippy
And the rest of the gang
Go Brooke!

Me loving Jason Castro

Grandma Kippy loving David A.

David A. was also Staten's favorite

Utah hearts David Archuleta

Back to Jason...sigh. Brian thinks I forgot I was 35.

David Cook. Second to none. Except when you're in Utah.

The man of the hour in all his rockstar glory.


Daddy Daughter moment
Finale with all the performers

8 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

SO JEALOUS!!!

Tami said...

Looks like the concert was worth extending your trip! Chris and I were hooked this past season and also enjoyed our "American Idol" dates. I knew it was bad when Annie would ask for "more Jason" or "more Michael" or "more David." I watched their performances online enough for her to familiarize herself with the contestants and have her own favorites. This was by far the best season yet.

The Titmi said...

Funny! Was it better watching them cozy at home where you can see them up close and moon over them in somewhat private? I have always wondered. I was a Brooke/Jason fan until they got old and David C busted out with Phantom of the Night. No David A for me

Emily said...

How fun for all of you to go to their concert! My little sisters heart David Archuleta and are counting down the days until the concert...or did they already go? Great season though.... BTW I love the family pic. on the blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Amy...glad you came to the show. Salt Lake was a great show. Loud...all those Archie fans. Were you "stage left"? I thought I saw you. IANADBIPOOTV and girl you could cause a heart attack. Keep in touch.
JC

Anonymous said...

How fun! I too am SO jealous!!!

Carrie said...

How fun! I love that Kippy texted 100 votes.

Mike and Shelby said...

What fun! I loved Jason Castro too! (And the Davids) It was a good season.

I am a little jealous you got a personal comment from Jason. Wow! wink wink.