Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sri Lankan Festivities

So here is a small recap of the big event in Sri Lanka that I may never be at peace about missing, but there are some things life decides for you.

Special thanks to my brother Dan who captured the journey beautifully. I could go to his blog and steal more pictures to show you some of the beauty they encountered during their adventure, but it is probably easier and more ethical to send you to his. (Savannah's blog) It is well worth taking a look. They spent several days touring this incredible part of the world and have some great footage.


In a traditional Singhalese wedding ceremony, the dancers and drummers proceed the wedding party.


Scene from the ceremony

Here Adam is putting a "wedding necklace" on Upekala (Pek.)

Picture of the wedding party including three of my five brothers (Darron, Dan, Adam)


Happy Bride and Groom

Sara and Sandee (and all the women who attended )were outfitted in traditional Sarees for the wedding. This picture is taken at the post wedding party. Pek is as much a knockout in her red "homecoming Saree" dress here as she was in her gorgeous wedding dress.

What is Sri Lanka without elephants? This picture was taken at the Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage.

I heard so many reports of the monkeys and how they were everywhere!

This is the Kandalama Hotel where they stayed during part of their touring. It has won awards for its eco-friendly design, and as you can see, it is built right into this jungle without disturbing much!

2 comments:

Shelby said...

So sorry you couldn't be there, Amy...but what amazing pictures! Absolutley Beautiful!

Kirbell said...

Wow - I'M feeling bad I missed this wedding. Amazing. My dream is to travel the world with my husband. I'll have to put Sri Lanka on the list.