Monday, February 05, 2007

What's in a name?

There is both risk and reward involved when you choose unique names for your children. It is always fun to have conversations with people about our childrens' names and how they got them. But of course we have geared up for a lifetime of misspellings and mispronunciations. Last week was especially fruitful in the name slaughtering department, as our children were called STETSON, WINDSTAR, and KARO. So instead of being namesakes of Staten Island, Windsor Castle and Cairo, Egypt--all places with meaning for my husband and I--they became COLOGNE, A MINIVAN, and CORN SYRUP. Not quite what we had in mind...but no less creative I suppose.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your childrens names!! Especially Staten (wink wink!)

At our neighborhood party Saturday night one guy said "where's his ark?" after we told him our son's name is Noah. I know this will not be the first time he gets teased for his name, but from a 50 year old??? People are funny...

Anonymous said...

Rest assured that the same thing could happen even if your kids had less unique names. No one guesses that my name is spelled Marianne, and I am CONSTANTLY plagued with the age old question, "Where's the professor?" (Or Skipper or Gilligan...you get the drift.) My tired response has become, "Wow. I've never heard that one before." Makes me feel like an ogre.

heymaughan said...

SHE SPEAKS!!
I thought you'd been desserted on an island or something.

Anonymous said...

I've actually tried to comment before, but I had a bit of a fiasco changing my blogger account to a google account. And then I remembered I could comment anonymously and voila! But I check your blog regularly and I even bought Brian's book. So never fear, I am (sometimes quietly) here.

heymaughan said...

Did you hear that Brian?
Oh, you are SO getting a prize, Marianne!